Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The "Second Shooter"


For the past 23 years I have been doing my wedding photography on my own. However, the industry has been changing a lot and it has become an "adapt or be left behind" type of situation. I am particularly referring to the “second shooter”, the assistant, the "help me hold a reflector" person you have to have at a wedding. Most of the time I think it is just a marketing ploy to let couples think they get two photographers for the rate charged…but that is my personal opinion. Most of the old hands in wedding photography were doing the art of photography when you had to do an entire wedding and could only see the results a few days later (they called it film). The amount of photographs you shot at a wedding was around 180-250 images, and they all had to work.  And a Photoshop or a Light Room were actual places you could go to…

Anyway, let me get back to my story… "The Second Shooter”. I also had to start bringing a second shooter to my weddings as the industry went that route and sometimes it is expected. I have been blessed to use basically two people most of the time. A while ago I found myself without a second shooter, 2 days before a massive wedding in Botswana. Very unlike me, I ran out of options and someone suggested I ask for a second shooter on Facebook. That has always been a big no-no for me. I don’t consider that professional at all. However, I wrote a short post and within a few minutes everything changed.

Morgan Brink at Neon Photography contacted me. I explained the situation to her but thought: “ No normal person would a get in a car with a stranger after a post on Facebook” but just a few hours later at 02:00 in the morning we started our journey together to a neighbouring country. Our work started at 07:00am on a wedding with +600 guest! And it was clear from the time sheet that we would only finish after midnight.

Morgan was really eager to work, her style suited my own and she was so nice to my clients and their guests. I felt blessed. Even after a 15 hour shoot, she was still smiling and going above and beyond. 

A few weeks later I called her up again to assist me at another shoot! We work well together, Morgan’s work is really good, and her personality and professional approach will be the building blocks for a very successful career. I am happy to say that was the best Facebook post I’ve ever made!!  Morgan, thank you so much!!! I know we will work together loads more in the future...

Here are a couple of Morgan's images from the wedding we did in Botswana, as well as a subsequent wedding we did together at Red Ivory Lodge


Nelson & Wame {Botswana}

images by Morgan Brink - Neon Photography




Frans & Anel {Red Ivory}

images by Morgan Brink - Neon Photography

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment